The MIRACLE child lives!
Baby Ponderosa, or ‘Ponder’ as she is affectionately known at HQ is the Life of Pikelet miracle staffy!
Only a few months ago Ponder was rushed into emergency and it was thought that the kindest thing to do was to let her gain her wings…now we wouldn’t be Life of Pikelet if we didn’t believe that sometimes all a doggo needs is a second second chance at life. With the most wonderful foster parent’s committed to intense focused care, Ponder didn’t gain her wings, rather she gained a new lease on life.
Now, Ponder is an active young lady full of life and adventure and probably a little too much sassitude at times. A typical staffy, she loves to chase, bork and play and will come over to be picked up for snugs on demand. This little girl is super affectionate.
Born with a cleft lip (no palate damage), a few months ago it was discovered she has a neurological condition called Primary Adipsia. Ponder was so very sick and almost at deaths door, but after receiving emergency veterinary care, she was lovingly nursed back to health by her experienced foster carers. Ponder’s condition is completely manageable, she just needs someone who can ensure her required water intake is mixed in with her meals 2-3 times a day for the rest of her life as little Ponder does not know that she needs to drink water. We also recommend a quick blood test every now and then to ensure her sodium levels are within normal range. We think the best fit for Ponder is a family that has at least one person home during the day that can give Ponder her required daily water intake.
Baby Ponder is OK with dog-savvy, confident cats. She will still chase them, but she will find her limits and has learned a little lesson or two in minding her manners from her cat siblings in foster care. Ponder will need another dog or a bigger pack for company. Ponder is also fully crate trained but like all puppies when she is outside roaming around, she will need a secure yard with no gaps.
We don’t know how big Ponder is going to get, but we think that her cleft lip and adipsia could play a role in determining that she be a pocket sized staffy girl.
BEFORE you read Ponder’s adoption criteria it is extremely important that potential adopters give great thought to and communicate in their adoption application what their home set up and routine plan is because Ponder will need to be kept to a strict food and water schedule to manage her adipsia.
– Specialised raw food diet will be a lifetime commitment (details in “Health” section below)
– Her adipsia will require occasional blood tests to ensure she is getting the right amount of water and salt in her diet. Too much or too little of either of these things can be dangerous for Ponder.
– She will not require cleft surgery, but she may (or may not) need a tooth removed in the future to make her more comfortable.
– You must have a fully fenced yard.
– You must have at least one other doggy pal for Ponder to love on, she needs a canine companion or two in her life.
– Ponder’s forever family will need to keep in regular contact with her foster families (she’s had two) at Life of Pikelet for the duration of her life.
Non deal breakers:
– While we are willing to rehome her outside of Victoria, potential forever families would need to come to HQ for a meet and greet
– As mentioned Ponderosa has Primary Adipsia which needs to be managed through diet and water intake. This MUST be strictly monitored. Life of Pikelet has had two other Primary Adipsia babies in the past, so you will have plenty of support to help navigate this extremely manageable condition.
– She has a cleft lip, and may need a tooth removed to avoid irritating her nasal passage.
– Being a staffie, Ponder does have some challenges with her skin, and while she has almost recovered, to ensure she remains a healthy, glossy little baby, she will need a Nexgard Spectra tablet monthly, Cytopoint injection monthly, regular Malaseb baths, Essential 6 oil weekly and a special SPD Raw Chicken + boiled egg + multiple supplement diet.
Please click here for an adoption application.
**We do our best to review and reply to all applications within 5 days, please be patient.
– Up to date vaccinations, flea, tick & worming treatments
– Desexing (can occur at any time)
MICROCHIP NUMBER 9530 1000 3014 057
SOURCE NUMBER RE128924
**Located in foster care in Victoria, Ponderosa is available for interstate adoption however this comes with the firm understanding that if an interstate candidate is successful, Ponder’s new family will need to come to HQ to complete adoption paperwork and travel home with her. Interstate candidates please see above in deal breakers/non-deal breakers. Video footage of yard & home will also need to be provided along with the agreement to a possible home check by a local Life of Pikelet rescue volunteer.