This ain’t no ordinary doggo! PadThai came to Life of Pikelet a very wonky little bullfrog with some serious spinal issues affecting his ability to walk, run, wee and poop normally. BUT none of this is what makes Paddy EXTRA-ordinary…
You see, our PadThai has all the ingredients of his namesake…
A true social butterfly, Paddy draws lots of questions, cuddles and conversations when he’s out in public. He can melt the hardest of hearts with just a look into those gorgeous brown eyes. He’s great with kids and other dogs of all shapes and sizes – he thinks he’s a big dog and has no idea that his disability should slow him down (believe us – it doesn’t – Paddy is FAST when he wants to be). He loves to play with his German Shepherd foster brother and will keep at it until he sits on him (the universal dog signal for stop).
This kid does not like cats! He will give chase until a confident kitty lets him know who is boss in the form of a sound beating! Paddy doesn’t enjoy being carried or held but he will follow you anywhere and loves to curl up next to you for a cuddle or a belly rub. He just likes to be close to his people.
A typical Frenchie, Paddy can be stubborn, and pig headed. He will choose to listen when it suits him and run when it doesn’t (maybe this is how he developed his speed). He loves to be outdoors, but with the distinct voice of a dying chicken (brace yourselves, its rather shocking), will let you know when it’s time to come inside for dinner, after which, he will demand to be put to bed. He will then curl up in his crate and sleep all night like the angel he is.
Initially arriving with undiagnosed hind leg paralysis and incontinence, it was hoped PadThai’s disability could be treated. However, while his condition and mobility have improved somewhat in care, vets have determined that it is permanent and unlikely to resolve with surgical intervention. Paddy CAN walk on his back legs, but they don’t function well and he is unaware when he is doing so. He has no awareness of his toileting needs, so nappies and baths are a must.
BEFORE you read PadThai’s adoption criteria it is extremely important that potential adopters give great thought and communicate in their adoption application as to what their home set up and routine plan is if they are the successful adopter of this most precious pupper. PadThai cannot be settled in over just a weekend and then left on a Monday home alone while you return to work… There needs to be a plan outlined so that his foster family can feel assured he is going to be set up for success in his new home.
– PadThai is a social boy and has grown up with many foster siblings, so a home with a friend or 2 is preferred. A home with no other dog will be considered if the family is home more often than not.
– Daily walks and outings are a must, if only to make sure the neighbourhood is graced with Paddy’s presence. He especially loves outings to the beach
– A specific balanced, healthy diet is very important for PadThai’s health and well-being
– Paddy must be truly part of the family and that means access inside and out as he pleases
Non deal breakers:
– A home in Victoria is preferred however interstate applicants will be considered, potential forever families would need to come to Melbourne for a meet and greet
– As mentioned, PadThai has a permanent spinal deformity, resulting in limited hind leg mobility and incontinence.
– Paddy wears nappies to help manage the mess, but his skinny little butt does make it difficult for them to stay on. Custom nappies might be helpful, but to date we’ve struggled to find something completely suitable.
– Daily baths are necessary to keep Paddy clean and comfortable – don’t worry though he loves his bath time with an extra helping of peanut butter to sweeten the deal
– Paddy enjoys a walk, but he will require a wheelchair for urban walks on concreted areas to protect his legs from abrasions
– PadThai is otherwise in excellent health
Please click here for an adoption application.
**We do our best to review and reply to all applications within 5 days, please be patient.
– Up to date with vaccinations, flea, tick & worming treatments
– Life of Pikelet will provide Padthai a wheelchair and washable custom nappies
MICROCHIP NUMBER 953010004409699
SOURCE NUMBER RE128924
**Located in foster care in Victoria, PadThai is available for interstate adoption however this comes with the firm understanding that if an interstate candidate is successful, Paddy’s new family will need to come to Melbourne to complete adoption paperwork and travel home with him. Interstate candidates please see above in deal breakers/non-deal breakers. Video footage of yard & home will also need to be provided along with the agreement to a possible home check by a local Life of Pikelet rescue volunteer.